Monday, September 17, 2012

The Promised Land of Links

Up until a few months ago I was a member of a parenting forum. Long, ridiculous story short, I'm banned. Yeah. I totally cried myself to sleep with ice cream in my hand. Okay not really. I laughed. During my stay there, another member posted a thread asking about weight loss motivation and getting started. Here's an edited C/P of my response.



Ready for a link bomb? Here we go.
There are a number of apps available. I can't speak for iPhones but they're free for Android.
Lose It!-  which you can also use online. I use this and love it as it has a barcode scanner to quickly input calories. It's accurate about 99.9% of the time.
Extrapounds isn't too bad, but I found it confusing at first and not super easy on a phone.
If you can't afford Weight Watchers you can use a neat app called WWDiary.
For just weight tracking, I use an app called Simple Weight.
ALL of these apps are free (because I'm cheap like that).
If you don't have a smartphone, you can use this site to calculate your Points Plus daily target. Remember to recalculate every so often as the points allowance changes based on your weight.
Ronis weigh has a nice online food calculator for the old points and new Points Plus values.
I've never tried this site but I do have it bookmarked. It has the Points values and calories and other nutrition facts for their recipes.
I'm a bit more simplistic. I also haven't updated mine in a while, but I do hope to soon. I'm finally moved and I have a nifty camera that I dropped a pretty penny for. 
This site was just shared with me last night so I don't know how great their recipes are, but I definitely plan to try them out at some point.
My Body Gallery will help give you an idea as to what your body MAY look like at your height and body shape depending on the weight you choose. This was eye opening for me and I go back every so often as a reminder.
Just Diet Now is nice but would be better if they had a mobile friendly version of their site. That have restaurants, that restaurants menu, and the Points Plus values and nutritional values as well as serving sizes for each menu item.
3 Fat Chicks is a nice forum for getting in touch with others struggling and who have struggled with weight loss and maintaining weight loss. I'mm not super active on there, but I do read quite a bit from there.
As for workouts, it really depends on what you're into. For me, this was a lot of trial and error. I like Zumba and have found some videos online to follow. Here are some of the users who are Zumba instructors and post for others to follow along:
There are tons more, and they should pop up on the right side bar.

If Tae Bo is your thing, which is is mine, here's some stuff for ya
And of course you can always go to WalMart. I have two Tae Bo DVD's (10th anniversary Tae Bo Ultimate and the Bootcamp DVDs) and I love them.
Here are two Jillian Michaels workouts.
I've not tried her programs so I can't say one way or the other about them.
Here's a 20 minute Insanity workout that was recorded for others (not the actual DVD).
If you use uTorrent you can download Insanity and/or P90X- but they aren't my cup of tea and you really need to invest money in equipment, which many cannot do right now.
There's also Hooping but again, not my thing, though I did look into it. The hoops are quit pricey though, so here's a tutorial on how to make your own for only about $5.
There's a hooping forum too. A quick YouTube search yielded some promising looking videos, so maybe you can check those out.
I *THINK* I got it all covered. If you have any questions, ask away! I hope somewhere in all of these links you've found something that helps you. Remember, find what works for you. Don't try a workout, think it's boring so therefore they must all suck. Try something a few times (don't give it up right away) and if it's not for you, try something else. And even though I've thrown tons of links your way doesn't mean that I didn't miss something.
Good luck, and I hope to see you on the 3FatChicks forum. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phat Archive

Followers