Friday, July 13, 2012

Diet Restrictions

"Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." Kate Moss said this in a 2009 interview with Women's Wear Daily, which sparked controversy. Many pro-ana (pro-anorexia) sites have since used Moss's motto (as she called it) as their mantra to keep up on their weight loss endeavors. 


I had to research the source and back story to this quote after finding it multiple times when I Googled images of weight loss inspiration. I often times find that if I look at before and after pictures of extreme weight loss (which is what I am working on), I feel a little bit better about the long path I find myself on and knowing that not only am I the not only one, but others have succeeded, so surely I can too.


Of course when I Google for these images I find a lot of meme's and quotes. This one sticks out to me. I want to say I understand where Moss was going with this, but it still rubs me the wrong way. Kind of like the quote I've seen stating something to the effect of 'Do you really want that cookie?'


What's wrong with wanting that cookie? What's wrong with eating that cookie? 


Because of my busy schedule and inability to worry about points, I've recently been focusing on calories. (Today I went over my 1770 calorie restriction by 8 calories, and this is rare!) I find that I'm making wiser choices, but I am still allowing myself to eat the things I love, I just monitor my portions and ensure that the 'bad' things are only treats. I measure my foods by the serving size recommendations and if I want to double up, I do so making a conscious decision of what I am doing and why.


I tell myself to stop eating because I no longer am hungry- I'm just wanting to eat. Eating is fun, damn it!


So again, tell me where it is wrong to want and even indulge in that cookie? I haven't had a cookie in a month, but I still eat sweets here and there. Who says in order to successfully lose weight you must eat 'healthy' meals only? Kashi has some great stuff, things that are whole grains, dried fruits, etc, and yet they taste just as amazing as the cheap, bad for you foods.


For instance, their cereals rock (although Rice Crispies will always have my heart!). Their granola bars are the perfect size and they satisfy my sweet tooth. And by golly, they even have cookies! 


There seems to be this stigma that in order to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight, you must deprive yourself of the things that you love. No treats for you! I wonder if this is part of why many people fail in their weight loss attempts.


The key isn't to deprive yourself, it's to ensure that bad food isn't your only food source.


So yes, Kate Moss, there are things that taste so damn good, it's worth indulging once in a while. Hell- I had a large McDonald's meal the other day that totaled 1200 calories, and yet I didn't go over my 1770 limit. I don't do it often, but I won't refuse myself the things I do love, I just refuse to eat like that all day, every day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Phat Archive

Followers